Thursday, May 17, 2007

Inspired by Design

I am inspired by my friends and coworkers who give 110% every day. They work so hard and do it every single day. They are amazing people and friends, and I love them. I also received a phone call today from a very good friend whom Ive lost touch with over the last couple of years. It was so nice to have talked with her for the few moments I could have.

I found a few fun design inspirations that I must have... and share... so they ought to be good, right? :)
The Moi radiant electronic light device which can be worn almost any way. Hair, neck, wrist, jeans, belt, etc. Needless to say, I have one on its way to me now. Best thing about it? Free shipping. I think this will be fabulous to wear next time I go out to dinner or whatever. Movie, work even. A total attention grabber. I love it.
Next up are these fabulous wall mounted wall sconce printed chandelier luminaires. They come in various colors. I personally like the white on black or pink on white. They are funky, but used in the right space they would be fabulous. I like the way the lamps are adjusted behind so that you get uplighting, top and bottom lighting, or each side. They do come with an 8' cord, so that will need to be dealt with, but Im sure that anyone who would love this will find a tasteful way of dealing with it :)

Followed by: Alvar Aalto Savoy Vase.
Alvar Aalto developed this fabulous organic shape in 1936 and it lives on. First as the savoy vase by ittala. I gave one to a fabulous friend of mine last year when she graduated from architecture school. She knew exactly what it was and informed me that it would find a place on her desk at work.
The vase has a long history behind it, and has now found its shapely form as ice cubes and a cookie cutter. (Being the design buff I am I had to make room for these in my kitchen too). In fact, I even had to email a former instructor this morning with links to each object so that she would be able to get them as well incase she didnt already have them. I hope she enjoys them as much as I know I will. I know the cookie cutter will be fun, as it will be useful for all kinds of fun food and dessert that I can make for the office. Im sure yummy sugar cookies would make for interesting conversation around fellow architects and designers.

And finally, one of my favorite must have items ever - will be going directly onto my birthday wish list. Suddenly turning 30 doesnt seem so bad. The Arco floor lamp mini do it yourself kit powered by a 9 volt battery!!! This is the coolest thing and would be fabulous to have on my desk at work. A 1962 design by Achille Castiglioni, Italian design at its best. Originally supported by a big marble slab to keep it steady, moveable by two people with the use of a broom through the hole provided... Makes for a fun conversation piece and still available for purchase at Design Within Reach, another of my favorite online stores to peruse.

1 comment:

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I have been looking at those canvas lit chandeliers for several months online and am so wishing that I could see one in person!