Monday, March 01, 2010

Birds of a Feather...

So I saw this cake online recently. I was actually online hunting for the cake that was in the background at the party scene in the film "Dear John". It was a white multi-tiered cake with buttercream frosting, and with richly colored birds flowing down one side of it like a waterfall. I would love to stare at it for hours. I know the big thing this season is birds. They are everywhere. On pillows, dishes, mugs, and even bedding.

Anyhow, this cake in the image to the right is the Martha Stewart "Songbird Cake". I have been admiring it lately too, but honestly did not know whether to love it or hate it when I first saw it. But, I liked it enough and needed a reason to bake from it's inspiration. I like the natural and organic forms placed on the circular tiers, in it's simplicity, but it still appears a bit busy. I do admit though, that I am fond of the tree trunk base that it rests upon. What a heavy cake though. Somehow it is a balanced composition.

I finally found a great reason to bake this past weekend. My friend Lily's birthday. This wedding cake with multiple tiers would not be suitable, so I settled for a shorter cake, a 10" round base with a 6" top.

Robin's egg blue was an appropriate color for the frosting, and the little bird accents from PotteryBarn were the perfect addition.

Her birthday party was a blast, and the cake was a hit; chocolate cake with buttercream frosting. It tasted great too, even with a margarita in one hand.

So Happy Birthday, Lily. I hope you had a great birthday week full of excitement and joy. I know you got to have your cake, and eat it too.

Bird Cake

Bird Cake

No comments: