Friday, June 12, 2009

The Last Supper

The final day at sea. It was relaxing, and I am eager to get home to see my baby Tula. My neighbor who was kind enough to feed her every day and check on things had text messaged me just a few days into the trip telling me that Tula hissed and tried to bite her. I worried I would come home to angry cat. It has been a wonderful two weeks, but a little too much together time. Tomorrow we are visiting Rome. I am very excited to see more of the architecture that I studied in school, but the same time, want to vomit rock and marble.

We passed by an erupting volcano today, Stromboli. I studied this volcano in school when I took geology courses, and a special course titled "Earthquakes and Volcanos". There is a type of lava called stromboli, it is rope like, and is named after this particular volcano. There is a small village at the base of the mountain, and there were people on boats enjoying the sea. You can see a giant crater in the side of the volcano, and I wonder if the locals monitor it and whether they have planned emergency evacuations and such...
Stromboli Volcano

Our last night on the ship and a final formal evening. The dinner waiters and servers took photos with us and we said goodbye to our staff who had been most helpful and friendly during the stay.


Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

No comments: