Thursday, October 14, 2010

So This is Christmas

I know it is not even Halloween yet, and I have already been looking at Christmas tree ornaments this year. I even purchased a couple of them so far. Anyway, here are some of my favorite holiday picks.

So much for traditional, I find myself skewing for the designer aspect of the holiday season, which may or may not be appropriate, but either way, I feel that it is the time of year to think back on everything we are thankful for, and with that being said, it is memories and experiences. Many of these will always remind me of the things I have done in my life and for that, I am grateful.

For Tula: The Blue Whale from Crate and Barrel
I saw this one, and knew it would be her 5th Christmas ornament. I love the lapis hue for one, and it is simple and of blown glass. Fragile too of course. But for the price, it was a good purchase.

Other top ornaments I would like to get this year are the owl ornament (very cute btw) and the Global Girls.

This year I think West Elm has a very nice assortment of holiday ornaments as well. For myself, I couldn't resist the Elaborate Chandelier. And I have to say that it is pretty elaborate. I received a box the size of a shoebox, and inside was about 10 yards of foam wrapping, enough bubble wrap to pop for hours, and finally the ornament itself. It is about 5 inches tall, and about 3.5" diameter, but yes it is very delicate looking, but it will look great on the tree with the lights and all of the dangling crystals. Love.

I think that CB2 outdid itself this year too as far as ornaments go, and the selection. In recent years, I have not seen so many. I am totally digging their play on mid century modern. I think George Nelson would be proud. And who knows, maybe even Charles and Ray as well. Anyway, I am loving the cosmic ornaments, and sure enough, one of them is called "George", among Elroy and Astro, too. The colors are fun, and even though not so girlie as my tree typically is, I think these could potentially have a good home for 10 months of the year, and be on display for the other two.

The next set of ornaments "nuclear family" also from CB2... Crack me up. Sooo cute and reminds me of one of my friends who just had a baby. I think she would love these. I am seeing a trend here with the cosmic roll. I thought it was the 80's were back, but now I am thinking of Buckminster Fuller and the Cranbrook.
I think my tree will make a slight transformation this year.

No comments: